Australia is a popular educational hub hosting students from over 200+ countries. However, students often face difficulty selecting the right university as they are entirely unaware of the factors to look for. Moreover, they always consider what is told to them by a counselor or their agents. This leads them to make the wrong choice that they regret for their life.
Here are some key points that you should consider before choosing the right Australian university.
- Decide on your course & interest
There is no golden rule in selecting an international university. But before start googling about top universities, you must begin by deciding your course & your interest in a specific domain. Being a top-tier country, Australia offers diverse courses & degrees across various disciplines. You should think with a clear mind of what you are interested in & are passionate about. Additionally, if you have specific career goals or aspirations, then you must highlight those universities fulfilling your criteria.
If you require any additional help in deciding on courses & fields of study, then you can browse different universities’ websites. You must note down to compare entry requirements, fees, scholarships, ranking & accreditation of universities to give you a better understanding of the Australian education system.
- Consider the location & lifestyle
After sorting out your courses & interests, you need to filter out universities located in an area that favors your budget, lifestyle, weather and distance from the nearest town. Being a country of diversity & large areas, each part has a different culture, landscapes & attractions. Besides fulfilling your education requirements, you must look for job opportunities, living costs, the environment the city is offering and how well you will be accustomed to its lifestyle.
A few factors you should consider while selecting a location:
- Cost of Living: The cost of living varies across different cities & regions in Australia. It depends on accommodation, transport, food, entertainment & health care. You must plan your living expenses to focus on your education without worrying about finances.
- The Climate: Climate in Australia varies from place to place and is season-driven. You should consider the kind of weather that suits you so that you don’t suffer from any health issues & hinder your studies.
- Transport: You should be living closer to your university so that you can depend less on public transport. It will save you a substantial amount of transportation costs and make your daily journey to university convenient.
- Research about the reputation & quality
Selecting a university that has a good reputation & provides the best quality education is crucial to a student’s education journey in a foreign land. Reputation & quality are measured by rankings, accreditation, reviews, alumni outcomes, research impact, teaching standards, facilities, scholarship opportunities, placement opportunities & student satisfaction.
You can get assistance from top university-ranking websites such as
- Times Higher Education World University Ranking
- QS World University Ranking
- Australian Qualifications Framework
- Tertiary Education Quality & Standards Agency
These independent ranking websites will give you an idea about top universities and you can check the criteria it is fulfilling.
The last step of choosing a university is to apply for admission & visa.
After you have shortlisted, the universities fulfilling your requirements, you can start applying to each of them.
The following are the process for a successful application:
- Meet the minimum requirements set by the universities.
- Submit the online application form along with supporting documents.
- Pay the application fees.
- If selected, you will receive an offer letter from the university (conditional or unconditional).
- Accept the offer & pay the deposit if mentioned.
- Receive a confirmation of enrolment from the university.
- Apply for a student visa & pay the application fee.
- Receive a visa grant letter from the Department of Home Affairs
- You are ready to depart for Australia.
Choosing the right university in a foreign country can be a daunting & exhausting task. There are 100+ options to choose from but always look for the ones that fulfill your educational & personal criteria. Do remember, it is not the university that shapes you, it is your determination & dedication that shape your future. All the best!